Thursday 11 February 2010

Running pveperf from Proxmox on any distribution

So in the quest to solve the mystery of why my 4x300GB 15k SAS disks are behaving like a dog I turned up a number of interesting resources. One of which was possibly a dodgy kernel driver.

So, off I go and install CentOS (aka poor man's RedHat) - if they don't support it properly then no-one will and I naturally typed 'pveperf'. pveperf is a lightweight performance profile tool that comes with Proxmox. Unfortunately it only comes with proxmox.

Unfortunately, it is the quickest way I know of how to find out the number of FSYNCS a second the drives will do, and that number is pretty critical for lots of virtual machines that wil be IO bound.

Anyway, turns out, pveperf is written in perl, so getting it working on any other machine is pretty trivial. Instructions here.

1 comment: